[Dragaera] Hamlet quotes in Athyra--summary so far

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 15:12:45 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt at Kithrup.COM> wrote:
> No, I never heard that one.  I've been reading this list
> for > only a couple of months, and sometimes I skip it for
> several
> days because y'all have gotten onto some long
> discussion of
> something I don't understand at all.  I shall keep my
> eyes open
> not only for Hamlet references but Shakespearean references
> in general.

In case you missed the discussion at the beginning of the
month, Steve said there are nine of these in /Athyra/,
plus one that doesn't count ("Avin the Bard").  Two are
at

http://www.speakeasy.org/~mamandel/Cracks-and-Shards/jokes.html#Shakespeare

(If you don't know Mark's pages, I join others in
recommending them highly.)  A third is "Apples the
thing.  Where with to--" after "The play's the thing/
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."  As
you can see, they can be strained.  Speaking of which,
a fourth may be "Aye, what he knows", which we've been
discussing.

I've been rereading /Athyra/ lately, looking for these,
but I probably don't know /Hamlet/ anywhere near well
enough.  Another problem is that in some scenes I
find it very hard to look for possible wordplay--all
my attention is on lungs or liege lords.

Jerry Friedman