[Dragaera] speculation on forthcoming books (possible spoilers)

J C greyw01f at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:55:27 PDT 2008

These here are my speculations for forthcoming novels as the current story arc seems (to me) to indicate).  With less and less available plot left untouched, it seems to me that my best guesses (heh) as to the subject of various books will come closer and closer to the truth (ie, not very).  Still, they are submitted with the utmost of respect, and the near certainty that, in submitting them, I nearly cause them to become untrue.

Possible spoilers ahead.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

-------------------

LYORN

"Your life is not complete until you have given me a great-grandchild. Don't forget that."

This line always struck me as prophetic in nature.  I can't help but feel that, since Vlad Norathar now exists, that Noish-pa's days are numbered.

Perhaps _Lyorn_ will involve either the introduction of Vlad Norathar to Noish-pa (and vice versa, if Steve allows for enough time to have passed) and maybe even will detail the subsequent death of Noish-pa and Vlad's reaction to the loss of probably the most revered and respected man in his life.  It may continue by including a bit more research into Vlad's family history.  We see him exploring his mother's side in _Jhegaala_.  I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine Vlad looking into his father's side, discovering things about Jani, Ibronka, or the other unnamed relatives mentioned in The Lyorn Records.

Additionally, Kieron may decide to make an appearance, possibly carrying a god-granted Great Weapon as a means by which he may resume control of the his own (yes, I know it's never actually stated the the Sword of Kieron is a great weapon (I mean, come on, it's a "great"sword!), but I think, like all the others, it will become alive in the hands of its wielder, and not, in, say, the hands of Kiera or StY, where it will behave as a somewhat sullen, but otherwise perfectly ordinary greatsword.)
-------------------

IORICH

Iorich will likely include a recounting of Vlad's incarceration with relation to some crime or another.  In fact, he may have even been guilty of this crime, who knows :P  Since it is currently a work in progress, I will not speculate further, but will in fact go so far as to repeat the suspicion that even this vague prediction may very well end up being completely inaccurate.

-------------------

VALLISTA

"The Lyorn Records" indicate that Vallista will be about destruction and rebuilding; the two major traits of vallista.

To that end, I can't see Vlad getting back together with Cawti.  This book may contain Cawti's death at the hands of criminal elements seeking to smoke Vlad out, and having that backfire on them as Vlad smites them like the angry fist of God...effectively decimating The House That Dolivar Built.  Since it is part of the cycle, and since the Cycle is inviolate (being a representation of the way that the universe works--I don't buy the literal interpretation that it IS the way the universe works) this will imit his destruction to "temporary" which is to say, he will probably remove the existing structure and cause the House to be rebuilt.  This will likely happen at the same time as Vlad is confronting the fact that he must himself build his life and his house (and maybe even his House) anew---this time centred around Vlad Norathar.

If Cawti doesn't die, I still don't see her and Vlad getting back together.  It just doesn't seem right to me.  There's too much between them now, not even Vlad Norathar can bring them back together.  Still, the above plot is still possible without Cawti's demise.  It could just be the threat of her demise, or even the mere danger of it from the Jhereg that provokes those events.

---------------

TSALMOTH

Tsalmoth indicates unpredictability and tenacity.  I wouldn't be surprised if this story is from the viewpoint of Vlad Norathar, perhaps as a early teenager or so.  Of course, given that this story is unpredictable, perhaps I should just save myself the doomed effort of trying to predict it.

---------------

CHREOTHA

Chreothas like to bargain.   Perhaps as an alternative to their destruction, or maybe as a result of their destruction and their dawning comprehension that Vlad is basically untouchable, the Jhereg come to recognize that a bargain with Vlad is better.  Personally, I don't see this as happening.  The Jhereg *HAVE* to kill Vlad, or at the *very* least, never stop hunting for him.  Otherwise, their credibility is shot, and they become the carrion that they're supposed to be feeding on in the first place.  That being said, that may happen anyway.  Blood makes for the most powerful magic, and if the Jhereg Council is killed off for failing to kill Vlad, that should satisfy the PR side of the whole thing, and the Jhereg can then uncomfortably forget about it, and then insist that it never happened.

HAWK

Anyone want to place bets that Devera and Vlad Norathar end up together?   Perhaps this book will be through Devera's POV, which WOULD be an ambitious project for Steve, given how she and she alone is the sole point of connection between all of his other books.  The idea that this would come from Devera's POV is because Devera, for the *longest* time, has always been an observer.  And because she's literally everywhere in Steve's books, she's obviously got her hands in quite a few pies, and what other than curiousity could explain that :P  (pointless) Question for Steve (that will never be answered):  Is Devera an immortalized (and hence, Immortal) version of your daughter at age nine?

TIASSA

I think I'll not comment on this one for the same reason as _Iorich_.  I don't know if _Iorich_ started out as _Tiassa_ or if _Tiassa_ was put down so that Steve could work on _Iorich_ but, assuming the latter, I won't comment on a work in progress.

Not that I have the faintest idea anyway :P

THE LAST CONTRACT

We know that Vlad is destined to kill Verra.  But Vlad has a particular stubbornness for despising being told what to do.  I suspect that the actual killing will be an "unavoidable", regrettable solution to an untenable situation (the Jenoine may be involved).  I had a whole bunch more theories, but then I remembered the title.  Think of what it implies:  Vlad's got cash, so he won't be accepting any "standard"  (heh) contract to kill a Goddess.  No amount of resources, aside from a lifetime's free meals at Valabars, could impel him to do such a thing.  Therefore I think the only agents with the "currency" required (a.k.a., coercion, or "the means") as well as "the motive" must be the Jenoine.