[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity--getting long

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue Oct 21 08:08:48 PDT 2008

> I posit that Blackwand did *not* fail.  Although Vlad did not understand
> this at the time of _Taltos_, he learned later that Morrolan is quite
> capable of preventing BW from destroying souls in combat.

On this subject, Morollan tells Vlad, "Take it up with Blackwand."

This is a sardonic way of saying "Don't blame me!". He might or might not
mean that Blackwand was unable to eat Loraan's soul. It always "felt" to me
as if he was suggesting that Blackwand chose to spare Loraan's soul for
reasons known only to itself.

Given the revelations several books later that Great Weapons are sentient at
some level (perhaps at different levels for each weapon), I've always seen
this as the first hint of such.