[Dragaera] A couple of thoughts.

J C greyw01f at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 05:56:02 PDT 2008

First, on Teckla being ruled by an Easterner.  It is said somewhere in the books (by a Dragaeran) that Easterners exist so that Teckla can have someone towards whom they feel superior.  Is that prejudice and bigotry psychological transferrence, or is it actually the case that Teckla are bigots towards Easterners?

I think there's textev that shows that Ts and Es can get along, but that's in the rather cosmopolitan capital city.  Perhaps rural Teckla would be more like our esteemed brethren in the southern united states?  You know, of the reddened neck :P

Anyway, it might be that Teckla give Noish-pa more trouble than expected because they're accustomed to running their own show (or maybe having a Chreotha/Vallista/Jhegaala run it for them) simply because they're more insulated and stubborn than city Teckla.

With regards to Loraan's soul:

I think that Loraan, being one of the foremost leading scholars on Necromancy, might have devised away around a morganti wound.   Perhaps it's as literal as a little black box somewhere, a phylactery.

Or maybe it's more of an ST:TNG kind of thing (the episode where a baby space creature latches onto the Enterprise to "feed" off the energy emitted by the warp coils) where he "sours the milk" and makes his soul, if not inedible, then extremely unpleasant for a Morganti weapon to devour.  I can only assume that this is an application of extremely arcane necromancy.

Still, there are other possibilities here as to why Loraan survived a slice from a GW--but I think we can all agree that his being a skilled necromancer has something to do with it.
Another possibility is that Morrolan didn't want to kill an Athyra noble in an unprovoked attack upon that noble's keep.  Yes, given the return of Aliera (who would be Heir at the time) it was an important political goal that wasn't COMPLETELY selfish, but still, it would be, politically speaking, very messy indeed.  The Empress simply could not allow a precedent of nobles Morganti-ing each other for shits and giggles.  She would have to crack down very hard on such an event, unless Morrolan or Blackwand to allow Loraan to keep his soul.