[Dragaera] Status of Great Weapons in Empire law

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Oct 22 13:20:00 PDT 2008

On Wed, October 22, 2008 10:50, Phil Boswell wrote:
> On 2008/10/22 David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
>> Great weapons are in some sense morganti (including apparently an actual
>> morganti weapon going into their construction); they have the same
>> ability
>> to destroy souls, which is the basis so far as I know of the distaste
>> for
>> morganti weapons.
>
> Isn't the major distinction the fact that the Weapon can *choose*
> whether or not to destroy the soul of a victim?

I wouldn't have said it was the *major* distinction; far from it.

The question is, is it a universal distinction.  I don't recall (but I
don't have a perfect memory) being given definitive information on this in
the books.  Maybe only some GWs can spare souls, or maybe only some
wielders can make their GWs spare souls, or something. Since not all the
GWs believed to exist by us are active, it gets even iffier.

> It would be vaguely (*really* vaguely ;-) akin to the distinction
> between walking around holding a naked blade and carrying one properly
> sheathed.

Hmmm; concealed carry vs. open maybe?

> Not to mention that the Weapons seem to be at least partially
> sentient: is there possibly some kind of vague (yes, even more vagary
> ;-) sideways relation to the Orb itself?

I see the previous speculation on that has been mentioned today.  Maybe.
I'm guessing it goes back to before the Empire, myself; but even so a
relationship of some sort might have been created when the Orb was even
so, I suppose.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info