[Dragaera] Vassals

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Thu Oct 23 06:32:39 PDT 2008

Philip Hart wrote:

> I kind of doubt that there is any reason for the orb to bother taxing
> a hundred Teckla families on the edge of the empire who
> aren't under a noble or any other apparent administration - they
> would likely have to pay in kind, and what would that be useful for?
> Vlad doesn't tell N-p anything about collecting taxes, or dealing with
> the empire - he'll be able to keep working and to dispense advice as
> he likes.  But Perhaps someone who is more familiar with feudal
> societies than I am just from reading _A Distant Mirror_ twenty
> years ago can chime in about how such situations worked in Europe
> or wherever; maybe "manorial" is the right term.

Generally, there weren't taxes per se on the peasantry, or on the nobles
either, in Europe.  Instead, there was a web of duties, privileges,
rights, & obligations (& an obligatory tithe given to the Church).
These would differ greatly from manor to manor, depending on how the
fief/subfief came to be created in the first place.  However, a lot of
communes wound up gradually buying their way out of obligations, which
is one way taxes came to be assessed--towns escaped feudal control early
on, but usually had to pay something to someone, be it king, duke, count
or whatever.

As time went on, the fixed fees paid to the manor in lieu of other
obligations couldn't keep up with long term inflation (which no one then
understood anyhow).  Combine this with the gradual extinction of old
aristocracy & replacement by new, particularly from successful merchants
& there were several periods of "domain mining", where the new lord
would hire people to search the old domain records for rights &
obligations that had fallen into disuse, which could then be levied anew
against the population.  (Not infrequently, this would lead to imaginary
"rights" that could be successfully imposed on the people of the manor.)

As royal households transformed themselves into state apparatchiks, the
same process began to operate on the kingdom as  whole:  obligations
converted into monetary payments, some of which became widescale & began
to be something more like actual taxes.  There were always royal
monopolies that could be a rich field for taxes:  the salt tax in
France, for example.  Or there could be taxes on trade--even more
popular, as merchants had money, but little in the way of direct powers
of resistance.  But the kingdoms generally lacked an administrator class
sufficient to handle all this, so commonly tax collection was "farmed"
out to private individuals; in fact, this was called tax farming.  The
king would sell (for a fixed sum, usually) the right to collect a
particular customs duty to a private person, who then had the power to
collect (& the incentive to collect as much as possible to make back his
boodle, obviously).  There were supposed to be limits on what could be
done, but you can imagine how well they worked.

That's an *extremely* broad summary of a process that worked itself out
over about 8 or 9 centuries.  You could write books on it, and people
have made careers on researching it.  We haven't even touched on royal
borrowing, Edward III, for example, who more or less bankrupted the
Bardi & Medici when he defaulted in the 1340's.  And the process in
England was quite a bit different from that in France, which was
different again from that in Tuscany, etc.  But that's the basic idea of
how things evolved.

How this applies to the Empire, I don't know.  The financial situation
there is quite mature, I would say; at least Orca (& 500YA) shows us
that.  It's at least comparable to the level of finance in Europe during
the time of that same Edward III & probably more so.  but that doesn't
really tell us what is happening in he countryside, & I don't recall any
textev on that point.

Snarkhunter