[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity--second half

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Fri Oct 24 08:02:53 PDT 2008

Jerry Friedman:
> --- On Tue, 10/21/08, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Vlad should be famous among Easterners - those who
>> don't
>> think saving the Empire at the time of _Phoenix_, which
>> is all Ric should know about, was a bad idea.
>
> In fact, a waiter at Valabar's knew something about
> him some unspecified time before /Dzur/ (Chapter 11,
> beginning).  So I should say I'd expect more.

(Alexx goes and checks...) "...well, they sort of knew what I did, and
they knew I was successful at it. In other words, I was an Easterner who
walked around the upper echelons--or the middle echelons at least--of
Dragaeran society. I was one of them who'd made good, and the exact way
didn't matter, or maybe even added a little spice to it."

What that says to me is that it is common knowledge that Vlad has achieved
moderately-high status working for the Organization, and that he has
acquired powerful friends.  It doesn't say that they know any specifics,
or even that what they 'know' is correct, especially with that 'sort of'.

Alexx

"I'm too busy trying to find a way to destroy the *universe*."
   "The whole *universe*?  Isn't that rather *drastic*?"
"I prefer to think of it as *suicide* on a somewhat *grander* scale."
  -- Cerebus 13