[Dragaera] Status of Great Weapons in Empire law

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 16:51:36 PDT 2008

From: "Maximilian Wilson" <wilson.max at gmail.com>
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:35 PM,  <FRIEDA2133 at aol.com> wrote:
> > No one said arrest that man he is breaking the law by using a morganti
> > blade. Off with his head!
>
> One does wonder whether Barritt was stockpiling weapons for fun or for
> warfare. Or maybe those weapons were to be used against the Jenoine's
> army we discover in /Issola/? (I'm not totally serious about that, but
> Devera could have warned somebody...)

There's all sorts of reasons Barrit could be collecting them. Some good, some bad.

Maybe  hated the idea that Jhereg assassins were out there using them, and was just trying to get them "off the streets".

Maybe he ran a side business selling them to Jhereg assassins, and their representatives (aka Kragar).

Maybe Pathfinder in disguise was useful for seeking them out, and he was just using that ability without having an real fondness for Morganti weapons by themselves.

Perhaps he wished to study them to find out how they could a) be used in warfare, or b) have their powers nullified in warfare, in case he had to fight against someone wielding them.

Perhaps he was just a wealthy noble with a lot of power and time on his hands that needing something to do that was slightly naughty so he could get a giddy little thrill by doing it?

In the end, Morganti weapons represent power. And Dragonlords seem to be fond of power. I suspect this is the underlying motivation, in any event. (And also likely why Morrolan maintains his own collection of them.)