[Dragaera] encoding (was: Re: Dragaeran programming)

Mark Mandel cracksandshards at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:42:53 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt at kithrup.com>wrote:

> Ooops, Mark, your post came through as a solid lump of random
> alpha characters, as Scott's did.  (Are you doing the 64-bit coding
> mentioned in previous messages?)

And shortly after that:

> This message, shorter than the first, also came over to my machine
> as about ten lines of random alphanumeric.

=====================================

Ah ha. I think this problem must have arisen from my use of Russian, in
Cyrillic letters. Nobody else has complained, so I think the problem may be
at your end or somewhere near it. ... OTOH, I just looked at my settings,
and I had outgoing encoding set to "Use default text encoding for outgoing
messages". I've changed it to UTF-8, which I normally use; I probably forgot
to change the default when I set up this account.

After this all-Roman-script post, I'll post a short test with Cyrillic text,
which should go out in UTF-8 this time. Let us know how it comes through.

FWIW, here are those posts again, with the Cyrillic replaced by
transcription:

from    Mark Mandel <cracksandshards at gmail.com>
to    Eugene Zaretskiy <eugene.zar at gmail.com>
cc    dragaera list <dragaera at dragaera.info>
date    Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:06 AM
subject    Re: [Dragaera] Dragaeran programming

//Bol'shoye spasibo!//

I wouldn't use that for my regular account, but since I use this account
only for lists it's perfect here.

m a m

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Eugene Zaretskiy <eugene.zar at gmail.com>