[Dragaera] Vlad's passivity--getting long

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 27 22:39:11 PDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Alexx Kay wrote:

> Philip Hart:
>
>>> later in the book, Vlad hasn't shown a whole lot of
>>> concern with innocent bystanders.
>>
>> How is that?  Is it consistent with _Jhegaala_?
>

> At least one significant difference: in _J_, the innocents are
> Easterners, and many of them are even Vlad's blood kin.  In _A_,
> they are Dragaerans, and in no way related to anyone he cares about.

But _A_ comes after V has had time to absorb the lessons of Burz,
and he has met the Smallcliff Teckla and his actions would obviously
lead to problems for them.  And Vlad ought to know from _Teckla_
that the two groups' interests and moral positions are closely
aligned.

Ok, I think I can chalk this up to "real change takes time" and
consider this a point of verisimilitude, a strengthening of the
earlier Text by the later one.