[Dragaera] Hallowe'en!

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Oct 31 10:30:20 PDT 2008

I've always felt that Zelazney is peripherally on topic here, given Steve's
admiration for Roger Zelazney, so I figured I'd make my annual
recommendation to check out "A Night In The Lonesome October". I've got to
figure out where my own copy has got to!

The novel features an assortment of archetypical horror characters engaged
in a "game" that has some cosmic consequences to the winners and losers. The
story-behind-the-story is that Zelazney was challenged to write a story that
featured Jack the Ripper as a sympathetic protagonist and this was the
result.

Whether that's actually true or not, I couldn't say, but I CAN say
unequivocally that "A Night in the Lonesome October" is one of my favorite
Zelazney novels. It's fun, it's engaging, and it's a very different sort of
story than your "typical" Zelazney. The story is told through the eyes of
Snuff, Jack's canine companion, and the rest of the animals who accompany
the people that are playing the Game. The people, in fact, are secondary
characters. It makes for an interesting multi-layered feel to the narrative
and a means to depict some of the horror of the people in the Game while
still remaining one-step removed from it.

If you've never read it, I recommend it highly. If you own it, tonight's a
good night to pull it out. :-)