[Dragaera] OT: Yojimbo

Scott Crain s_thomas_crain at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 18:36:53 PST 2008

I read David Drake, mostly his 'Hammer's Slammers' stuff; he's one of my other favorite authors.  I'd also seen 'Last Man Standing', but hadn't really connected it to anything else; not sure if I saw it before I'd read a certain title by Drake.  I had not, however, seen 'Yojimbo' (Akira Kurosawa) or 'A Fistful of Dollars' (Clint Eastwood), and had the opportunity to see the former in just the last week or so.

First: Wow.  I own Seven Samurai, and it kicks ass; so does Yojimbo.  What astounded me, however, was how Drake's book 'The Sharp End' popped into my head very early on in the movie, and how I could parallel everything in the book to scenes in the movie.  Amusing, fun ... I know I had a blast.  Next opportunity I get, I'll re-read the book and smile...

S. Thomas Crain

Author-in-Training