[Dragaera] Reading series

Scott Crain s_thomas_crain at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 18:50:20 PST 2009

I might agree with you, David, if I were a decade younger than I am now; I did the exact thing you did, dumping the series at the slogging slowness of Heretics.  A couple years after that, however, I returned to the series, put up with the first few chapters of Heretics -- I've read Theodore Dreiser's 'An American Tragedy', so I've had plenty of experience at literary slogging -- and came to the opinion that the first four books (and a big chunk of the fifth) are nothing but precursor to the story that is the end of Heretics and all of  Chapterhouse: Dune.

I started reading the continuing stories of son & ghost writer, but I had to put them down in disgust; Frank was a much better wordsmith.  I also don't entirely agree with Frank's Dune having continuity errors, but I may not be as alert to them...

S. Thomas Crain

Author-in-Training