[Dragaera] Cool Stuff Theory of Litterature was: (RE: Steven Erikson (was:

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 09:09:00 PST 2009

In article <4979F25B.4040700 at newsguy.com>, mwojcik at newsguy.com (Michael
Wojcik) wrote:

> (Note Mieville ran for Parliament.)

Not with any serious hope of winning.

> But since I also believe in the unconscious and the hermeneutics of
> suspicion, I find the CSTOL too simplistic - I think authors often
> don't know themselves why they put certain elements into their work.

I have experimental evidence of that. From Gene Wolfe, no less. Wolfe
thinks very seriously about what he puts into his work, and writes far
more consciously than many. Back in the eighties, the Book of the New
Sun had completed its publication and I was attending a University of
London evening class in SF, taught by John Clute. We went at tBotNS
quite seriously, for over a month of classes, and got quite a bit out of
it. And since Wolfe was in the UK for a signing tour, and knew Clute, we
had him along for an evening, and got to ask him questions.

He wanted to maintain his mysteries, on the whole, and played a superb
defensive innings. But I got one through him. At the start of the
Citadel of the Autarch, Severian is musing from his future narrative
viewpoint on the weird things he has seen in his life. He names several,
such as the undine, and Arioch. "Arioch?" I asked. "Let me see that..."
said Wolfe. He looked at it, thought for a moment, and admitted he had
no idea of why he'd put that in, or what it was doing there. The name
comes from _Paradise Lost_, incidentally; Moorcock lifted it from there.

--
John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.