[Dragaera] Dzur/Jhereg crack? [Some minor Dzur spoilers]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sun Apr 19 16:51:26 PDT 2009

Jot Powers wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:57:30AM -0500, Bryan Newell wrote:
>
>>> Jhereg (pg 53 of my copy)
>>>
>>> "[...] In eight years he's [Mellar] got a territory bigger
>>> than you have now.  A year after that, he wipes out Terion
>>> and takes his place on the council."
>>>
>>> So, unless we have a different Terion who is high up in the
>>> Jhereg Council, or some other strange hand waving
>>> coincidence, it looks to be a crack to me, since Mellar
>>> killed him a few years earlier.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> Maybe "wipes out" didn't include killing him (just taking his territory,
>> rackets, etc.), and then later with Mellar out of the way, Terion resumed
>> his former position?
>>

> I categorize this under "handwaving".  :)  I think the term "wipes out"
> would pretty typically mean "finalizes" in standard Jhereg language.

Sure, Mellar killed Terion.

Someone clearly paid to revivify him afterwards. This was probably
allowed by Mellar only on condition that Terion relinquish his spot on
the council in exchange for not making it Morganti.

Once Mellar dies, however, there's nothing left to stop Terion from
resuming his former ways and recapturing a spot on the council.