[Dragaera] Orwell, John M. Ford quotes, Morrolan

Alipaz, Julie jalipaz at illumina.com
Wed May 6 14:12:05 PDT 2009

Here Here!

Julie Alipaz Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
Illumina, Inc.
9885 Towne Centre Drive
San Diego, CA 92121
Tel: 858-202-4822
Fax: 858-202-4545
E-mail: jalipaz at illumina.com
Web: www.illumina.com

-----Original Message-----
From: dragaera-bounces at lists.dragaera.info
[mailto:dragaera-bounces at lists.dragaera.info] On Behalf Of Scott Schultz
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:04 PM
To: dragaera at dragaera.info
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Orwell, John M. Ford quotes, Morrolan

While I'm not precisely sure what point Phil was driving at, the quote
about
torture and power kind of codifies for me what I disliked about
_Jhegalla_.
The torture was unneccesary all around. Vlad had done nothing to warrant
it.
The various factions in Burz all had other avenues available to them,
mystical and mundane. Like the Inquisition, they had their minds made up

beforehand and the torture was nothing more than a sadistic exercise in
forcing Vlad to confirm their preconceptions. It was a kind of
transformation, I suppose, and maybe the lack of neccesity was the whole

point from a philosophical standpoint.

I just don't see myself rereading _Jhegalla_ much, which is all the more

disappointing given that I was really set to enjoy a trip Back East.

Vlad's reminding me less of Sam Spade and more of Jack Bauer these days.
How
many times can you break him before he stays broke?