[Dragaera] re Iorich???

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 18:00:02 PDT 2009

Funny you should say this.

I feel disappointed by Dzur and Jhegaala too, not because the writing or
story is poor in either one, but because anything after the climactic battle
between gods and Jenoine and one-armed Easterner just seems, um,
ante-climactic. [sic]

Vlad's character arc and the overall story arc seem to be reaching gradually
from hard-boiled crime story up through military adventure, political
intrigue, high-level political intrigue (assassinating leaders, etc), and in
Issola up to High Fantasy (Heroes and Gods).   It's just a letdown to be
back to hard-boiled crime and petty intrigue right afterward.

I want to know, as I'm sure many do, what happens to Vlad, Verra, Lady
Teldra, and Sethra after the earth-shaking changes of Issola.  Adding in the
long-awaited bits about Cawti and Vlad Norathar in Dzur just add to the
tension.  But what happens next in the realm of the Great Weapons, the
Jenoine, and the Lords of Judgement?   And how many books will duck that
issue?  I think that may be the disappointment Sonu is feeling.   As he
says, the fun has gone down.

That said, Dzur and Jhegaala are fine writing and will end up rated high in
the Vladiad eventually, once we get over our disappointment in seeing them
instead of a continuation of the Issola story.  (Which Dzur, in the sense
above, really isn't.)

And Iorich might be.