[Dragaera] Jo Walton reviews 'Agyar'

Johne Cook johne.cook at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:32:22 PST 2009

Jo Walton is on a Brustian kick (and why not?). I'm with her - this is my
favorite book in this particular genre. I liked what she picked up on.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=58207

It’s really normal to leave things out of a story, and Brust plays with
> that. And it’s normal to use a certain kind of metaphor, and a certain kind
> of indirectness. When you read something like:
>
> I kissed her temple, her ear, and her neck. We sank down onto the bed,
> still holding each other.
>
> I ran my hands along her body. Yes indeed, she was a dancer, or an acrobat,
> or a swimmer. She was strong, inside and out. I touched her and she
> shivered; she touched me and I trembled. I felt her enter the maelstrom of
> sensation at the same time I did, and we explored it together. She made low
> moaning sounds of pleasure, while mine were harsh and animallike, but the
> urgency was mutual.
>
> You immediately read into that what you expect goes into the spaces. People
> write about sex like that when they’re not writing porn. That it *isn’t*sex, that her neck is what’s significant, is a level of indirection that’s
> really quite astonishing.
>
> There’s also the thing where he mentions Byron saying something and you
> assume he’s read it, but no. The length of Jack’s life and the nature of his
> experience creeps up on you.

johne cook - wisconsin, usa