[Dragaera] Kindle and SKZB

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:36:55 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Michael Wojcik <mwojcik at newsguy.com> wrote:
> It would be nice if I could buy books in an open softcopy form,
> through an arrangement that sent a significantly higher royalty to the
> author, with professional publishing. There are high-quality academic
> publishers that produce softcopy; maybe in time more mainstream
> publishers will move into the market too.

Kindle hardware != Kindle store.

For instance, you can buy books from Baen through webscription.net and
have them sent to your Kindle in PDF format as well for a nominal
charge from Amazon (on the order of a dime). From hearing Baen authors
talk, I have the impression that 1.) royalties from e-books still are
dominated by those from paper books, 2.) Baen pays a good royalty for
e-books. For instance, David Drake noted at one point that Baen is the
ONLY e-book company which pays non-trivial royalties (on the order of
$2000 a year for one of his better-known novels compared with $77 or
something from other companies). Baen is also not into DRM. Even if
Amazon deletes the PDF from your Kindle or something you'll still have
permanent access to the PDF, HTML, Reader, etc. versions on
Webscriptions.

Unfortunately there aren't any Brust books on Webscriptions, but
that's an issue with the publisher (Tor?) and not the technology.

-Max

--
If you're so evil, eat this kitten!

"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and
desires it, the power and light of truth of the Holy Ghost, although
he may often be left to his own spirit and judgment." --Joseph F.
Smith (manual, p. 69)