[Dragaera] Kindle and SKZB

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Dec 10 13:09:46 PST 2009

On Tue, December 8, 2009 20:27, Howard Brazee wrote:
> I just saw this a couple of minutes ago:
>
> http://gizmodo.com/5420641/can-my-ipod-make-this-airplane-explode

I personally don't want to allow random things that look like they might
be dangerous to the airplane, and wait until we have enough disasters to
analyze to get the rules right.  Which appears to be what the author of
that article is proposing.

The whole "wifi" thing is a red herring -- that's only allowed high up.
They're not using a lot of the electronics high up, plus there's lots of
safety margin to recover if something manages to cause trouble.

The trouble is, without individual testing, we can't know if a particular
device is potentially harmful or not.  With enough testing, we can start
to see patterns, and eventually probably certify classes of devices for
use.

And it's a problem that we're not doing that.  I think the FAA should be
working on that.  I don't think they have any funding for it, though.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info