[Dragaera] Ten steps per floor?

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 17:47:21 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> Unless this is a spoiler (I doubt it very much), why do stairways in the
> Imperial palace have ten steps?    I would expect 17.    But even 17 would
> require huge steps for their high ceilings.
>
> (Page 51 of Iorich indicates this is the case).

Is there any other source for this count? The quote is:

"... and into a much smaller hallway that ended in a flight of eight
stairs -- _two_ few for it to be a stairway up to the next floor."
(Emphasis mine.)

I am prepared to reasonably conclude that this is an editorial
oversight and "two" should be "too," unless you can show me other
evidence of stair-counting in the series. If correct, the phrasing is
odd, and the seeming attention to detail rather irrelevant, as you
point out. As "too few," the phrase makes perfect sense and actually
does suggest that 17 might be the traditional number of stairs. This
seems to be more a "half-floor." Two less stairs doesn't really
accomplish anything architecturally, but then again, maybe you're
right, and it accomplished something symbolically.

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net