[Dragaera] Time on Dragaera

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Jan 14 09:28:55 PST 2010

On Thu, January 14, 2010 11:12, Howard Brazee wrote:
> On 1/14/2010 9:56 AM, Alexx Kay wrote:
>> In_Phoenix_, Verra strongly implies that Kelly got hold of a Terran book
>> about communism, and was able to read it.  There's plenty of wiggle room
>> for translators on that side as well, but it's another (weak) data point
>> in favor of the languages on Dragaera actually being stable.
>>

> If languages are that stable naturally, then so would be politics and
> technology.

But "on Dragaera" isn't necessarily "naturally" in the sense we mean it.

> New ideas require new language.

Well, new language often develops around new ideas.  I think the strong
form of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is pretty thoroughly dead; it's
possible to invent new ideas.

Then again, there ARE new words in use -- "iorich" wasn't a word from
Earth, that I've noticed, but they now use it to name these beasts.

> I don't know what
> influence the Cycle has on Easterners, and we do know that time doesn't
> always work the same way as it does on Earth.

And we know that "souls" are inter-operable between Dragaerans and
Easterners.

That might mean more if we had some idea what a "soul" was.  From the
evidence we've seen, this may be a fairly thorough-going dualist world.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info