[Dragaera] Iorich ***SPOILERS****

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:27:35 PST 2010

> I guess an argument I would buy against this idea is that Vlad and friends
> would be averse to the amount of bloodshed that would be required.  On the
> other hand he was ready to take out a roomful of LHs not so long ago if
> forced to.

He can't take out the Jhereg council, for *nearly* this reason.  Vlad is an
assassin, not a serial killer or a psychopath.  As Cawti pointedly said when
Vlad Norathar asked this very question, "You can't always solve problems by
killing someone.  In fact, as your father can testify, most of the time
killing someone just makes things worse."  (p116, hardcover Iorich)

And Vlad himself points out that when the Jhereg kill someone, it's somebody
who "deserved it", and he seems to think that makes it easier to be a
Jhereg.

And he has the examples of friends like Morrolan, Aliera, and Kragar, all of
whom would be utterly contemptuous of any plan that involved appearing more
concerned about their own skins than that of anyone else who isn't an actual
enemy in melee.  He is starting to pick up their morality a bit, I think.

So even if it were guaranteed to work, it would be pretty much unjustifiable
to Vlad to kill the Jhereg Council, just to save his own hide.   He would
basically believe he deserved to die himself after such a dishonourable
massacre.