[Dragaera] Penny Arcade & Brust

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:56:21 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Steve Hubbell <usagigoya at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have enjoyed the very infrequent Penny Arcade strips about the Cardboard Tube Samurai, but have read very little the other stuff the have done. I have to say that I was totally unaware of how limited Gabe's tastes in books are. Star Wars?

Part of the whole... thing with Penny Arcade is that they have this
whole Zen angle going on where they represent the two main (imaginary)
archetypes of gamers/readers/whatever. Tycho is the "thinker", the old
school geek who plays DnD and likes "good" books and plays RPGs for
the story. Mike is the console gamer who plays FPSes and prefers
instant gratification and so on. Well, that's a gross
oversimplification, but they point is that the comic in question is an
example of them playing up this dichotomy, in that Gabe is angry
because Tycho's interpretation of Jhereg being sci-fi, the genre Gabe
likes, is a careful distinction based on minute details in the book,
while to Gabe it's clear it's not sci-fi because there's a dragon on
the cover.

Often separating the truth from the fiction is time consuming; Gabe's
tastes in books are limited to Star Wars tie-ins because he doesn't
really read books. He's just not a reader.

Coincidentally, they pull Cardboard Tube Samurai out once a year and
never more, out of respect for those who dislike him.

>> From: khymaera at verizon.net
>> To: Dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
>> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:19:25 -0600
>> Subject: [Dragaera] Penny Arcade & Brust
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, have folks seen this? I saw it first aaaaaaaages ago,
>> but was reminded recently of its existence.
>>

>> http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215546869_oiifJ-L-2.jpg
>>

>> And the Blog post that went with it:
>>

>> http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/6/14/
>>

>> (Apologies if this comes twice, I think I sent to the Bounces address the
>> first time.)
>>

>> - Khymaera, who's copy of Iorich is STILL in the mail. :(

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net