[Dragaera] Some meditations on Iorich plot issues *Spoilers*

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 21:27:18 PST 2010

> 23
> 24
> 25
> 26
> 27
> 28
> 29
> 30
>

> *) As I recall it, Aleria's motivation for searching for Norathar was
> because she (Aleria) didn't want to be the Dragon heir.  Instead, she
> wanted "what all Dragons really want, to be warlord" (forgive my quote
> inaccuracies).
>
> That seems to imply that, as heir, she couldn't be warlord.  If so, how
> did Norathar end up with the position instead of, say, Morallan?

Aliera didn't want to be heir, because she wanted to be Warlord, and
continue being Warlord, /once the Dragon reign began/. Which, as heir,
she obviously would not have been. She'd have been Empress.

Morollan would never have gone along with Aliera's arrest. This is one
of the political things that Norathar seemed willing to do out of a
sense of duty to Zerika. Norathar was a logical choice in this regard;
despite the inherent problem of having the next person in line for the
Orb also be in charge of the Imperial Army... Which, as Vlad noted is
"kind of begging for a coup".

> *) Speaking of Norathar as warlord - why was she in her office enough
> for Vlad to so easily find her?  Or asked another way, why was Aleria at
> Castle Black so much that that's where Norathar and the guard was sent
> to arrest her, instead of being at the warlord's office?

Aliera does live at Castle Black. She happened to be at home at the time
of the arrest. (Timing here might also not coincidental, Zerika may have
arranged it this way, perhaps to prevent needless embarrassment to Aliera).

Norathar was available for Vlad because Sethra arranged it for him.

> *) Finally (and not specific to Iorich) it seems likely to me that
> Zerika must have inherited a some number of properties and titles from
> all the other, dead Phoenix.  At least if inheritance follows the
> 'nearest relative' ideas that we're used to here.  There are no other
> living Phoenix we know of, after all.  I assume that the interregum
> itself would have taken a goodly bite out of things, and I recall form
> the Khaavran stories that the Phoenix had much of their net worth in
> speculation, but there still had to be some things for her to inherit.

While Zerika holds the Orb, her personal holdings, whatever they may be,
are largely meaningless. The Empire is seeing to whatever personal needs
she has (such as, say, good cheese).

Inheritance doesn't really enter into it. In a feudal society, all land
is held in trust by the titular lord. The term "Eminent Domain"
originates from this idea. All the lords who died without heirs (thusly
unable to administer their lands) simply see those lands revert to the
sovereign.

The Interregnum being very recent, it has been implied throughout the
series that there are quite possibly a large number of lands that are
being held by the Empire; likely including any of those held by any of
the Phoenixes who died in Adron's Disaster. If these have not been
granted to some other lord by The Empress, then they will likely just
remain in possession of the Empire, even after Zerika abdicates.

At that time, I have no doubt that Norathar will be disposed to granting
Zerika whatever lands she wants... Within reason, of course. I doubt
Zerika will have any problems getting by.