[Dragaera] not really a spoiler, i don't think...

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Jan 18 22:19:42 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 05:06:37PM -0800, James Griffin wrote:

> Yes, I was wondering about something this. Is the cycle similar to a
> ladder, in which as soon as you are off the top you are at the nadir
> of power and influence, or is it that the diametrically opposed houses
> on the cycle are forever opposite in power and influence, similar to
> the summer and winter solstices (sp?) =the top of/bpttom pf the cycle
> - with a nodding equality at the vernal and autumnal equinoxes (sp?).

I'm relatively certain that past textev indicates that top and bottom of
the Cycle are literal; we haven't seen much of them, but the Athyra
should still be strong, despite being the previouse House to hold the
throne.  Power is waning, not collapsed.  References... well, the
Dragon-Jhereg war stuff referred to the Dragons being near the top, and
the Jhereg near the bottom, in language that suggested the Jhereg were
at nadir, not halfway through their ascension.

How the Cycle works... no idea.  I've wondered more about how it turns.
Why did the Athyra turn power over to Tortaalik?  Seems to have been
peaceful; I forget if tPG said why.  Was there some political crisis
such that a Phoenix seemed more qualified to deal with it?  Do Athyra
hate being Emperor and abdicate as soon as mystically possible?

Some transitions we know or can guess at.  Decadent Phoenix seem to get
overthrown by annoyed Dragons; reborn ones probably abdicate in a
military crisis, though Iorich has Z saying it's about getting out
before the decisions get bad.  (But I thought the only reborns were
Zerika I and IV?  Not much data.)

Dragons are high-handed themselves, so we can imagine Lyorns step in at
some point to save traditions.  Lyorn-Tiassa... uh.  Lyorn decides some
crisis needs more imagination to deal with?
Tiassa-Hawk-Dzur-Issola-Tsalmoth-Vallista-Jhereg, no idea.  Well,
Vallista like construction, Jhereg rise in corruption?

Jhereg-Iorich seems natural: excess, reaction.
Iorich-Chreotha-Yendi-Orca, got nothing, apart from Yendi sounding like
a better version of Chreotha
(Sly Chreotha weaves its net, Yendi coils and strikes, unseen --
Chreotha intrigue?  But Yendi are the great intriguers.)

Orca-Teckla seems like another reaction.  Then
Teckla-Jheghaala-Athyra-Phoenix, nothing, apart from Jheg and Athyra
seeming like mystical houses, with Athyra being better.  (For that
matter, Tsalmoth-Vallista sounds like a craftsman pairing.)

One thought is that we've only seen Phoenix Emperors, which seem
conventional enough -- imerpial pomp and such.  What's a Jhereg emperor
like?  Or a Teckla Republic?  We know the Athyra Guard is full of
wizards, unless Paarfi was exaggerating (wizards for guards?  No wonder
if the Athyra didn't want to stay in power for long, big waste of their
time.)  Some of the other Reigns might be pretty weird.

-xx- Damien X-)