[Dragaera] Spoiler space without spoilers

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:36:10 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> On 1/22/2010 10:54 AM, Khymaera wrote:
>>
>> It depends on the person. I find when I am off work (vacation ...or worse)
>> tend to stay functional until about the 20-22 hour mark before I get tired
>> and need to sleep. It's often a struggle for me to sleep after being awake
>> 16 hours, I'm just not tired. And before anyone screams 'cut down your
>> caffeine intake!', I have. I make it a point to avoid ALL
>> caffeine/stimulant
>> sources after 2pm, just so I can try sleep around midnight.
>>
>> So, yes, I can very easily see humans working on a 30-hour day (and I'd
>> love
>> it, myself!). I'm not an insomniac, the days are too short.>.>
>>

> How long do you keep this 30 hour cycle?   I suspect it isn't long enough to
> tell if that is your natural cycle.

I used to work a job where there were three eight hour shifts per day,
five people working them, with the day shift (8-4) requiring two
people. Every week, you'd cycle to the next shift, with approx. two
days off each week, and one of the shifts was really odd, requiring
you to fill in the empty holes caused by the days off other shifts
had. This is the usual setup in the industry as far as 24-hour
monitoring goes, to my knowledge.

All five of us had certainly gotten used to it... we all had our
little tricks, and many of them involved having a very long week and a
very short week. It was torture for the first 2-3 months or so, but
after that, I'd find that my natural clock would adjust seamlessly. I
would no longer be tired at the end of my late-night shifts that
created 32-hour days, and I would wake up appropriately. Of course,
this isn't a perfect example because my schedule would change every
week. 3/5 weeks were unnaturally scheduled and 2/5 weeks were normal
8-4 shifts. It's nothing scientific, and I don't know the long-term
effects of this job (though one of the guys had been doing it for
nearly a decade), especially if you increase the unusual schedule from
3/5'ths of the time to 100%, but I doubt it would literally have
killed us.

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net