[Dragaera] _Iorich_ random brief comments (spoilers!)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 26 12:36:56 PST 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Howard Brazee wrote:

> On 1/26/2010 8:42 AM, Alexx Kay wrote:
>> Lastly, transport by water is*astoundingly*  cheap.  If you haven't done
>> the research, you'd be amazed at how much cheaper than ground transport it
>> is.  Even in the modern world, with airports, freeways, and railroads,
>> shipping by water is very often the cheapest option.

Ack, meant to respond to Alexx's comment above too.

Lost in the snippage the claim that Vlad doesn't teleport well - I think
he didn't like to do it because it made him sick, but we've seen him
accomplish it under incredibly difficult circumstances (with some help of
the sort that would be easy to set up here).

> And their society isn't one that is designed around doing everything quickly.

So iirc it takes three days to transport goods down river from the start
point of the novel, at no profit (the profit is going upriver with salt).
It must take longer going upriver.  So that's over a week's salaries for
the crews, plus feed for the oxen or whatever that pull the barges
upriver, plus loading and unloading time at the docks, plus transport to
and from the docks if the final warehouses are elsewhere.  Can that really
be cheaper than a teleport, even without time pressure in the society, if
that's still true?  At the end of the Piroiad we already see that
merchants are abandoning land travel.

If in fact the calculation works out cheaper for the crew/longshoremen/etc
salaries/etc., then that means there is an incredible gulf between the
value of manual labor and simple magical labor.  I don't know how that
would be supportable economically or societally.