[Dragaera] _Iorich_ random brief comments (spoilers!)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jan 28 11:52:38 PST 2010

On 1/28/2010 11:43 AM, Philip Hart wrote:
> I had vaguely thought orcas were not the earth species.  I had also
> thought, incorrectly, that orcas were whales not dolphins.  Anyway,
> still counts as touché in my book.

If they aren't earth species, then the exact taxonomy isn't important.
Sure, it is more exact to call them dolphins, but comparing an alien
species to any meat-eating cetacean is close enough.

Killer whales are of the genus Orcinus, and were called by Spaniards
(translated) "whale killers", which is how we got our misleading name.