[Dragaera] [Orca spoiler] Rereading Taltos...

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 09:07:17 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Sullivan" <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>
To: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info, dragaera at dragaera.info
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2010 8:44:00 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] [Orca spoiler] Rereading Taltos...

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 04:29:36PM +0000, Jon%20Lincicum wrote:

>> If Kiera was watching Vlad from an early age, why couldn't Sethra have
>> cured Vlad's father with sorcery, rather than letting him die?

[..]

>Conversely, Vlad's father had a way out: his witch father could have
>cured him. Risking cover to save an idiot who won't use the resources
>available to him -- or conversely, an individual who, Dragon-like, would
>rather die than betray his principles -- doesn't seem like a Sethra
>thing, unless she has reason. If his death was pointless, it's a
>pointlessness he chose.

This strikes me as a more believable motivation. Vlad's father DID have options available to him. Letting him die because of his own stupid pride seems a lot more like something Sethra would be more inclined to do.

The alternative--that she was just callously disinterested in Vlad's father, or saw (or created) his death as a necessary means to an end--just doesn't seem much like the Sethra we've gotten to know over the years.