[Dragaera] Vlad

J C greyw01f at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:48:41 PST 2010

It occurred to me while reading that Vlad is narrating all these books about himself and his history into a tape recorder or something.  But I've never really looked at that fact:

Vlad is talking about killing people, without euphemism or dissembling, to a recording device.

To say that this flies in the face of all of his acquired reflexes is to understate the point rather a little.

My question is, what has brought him to the point where he is finally willing to shrug off the "who? me?  No, no, you've got it all wrong, I just know a guy who knows a guy who might be willing to do stuff like that" reflex?

"Writing" one's memoirs is very much the act of a person in advanced age---in this case age being relative to the time of one's death as opposed to the time of birth.  Vlad is presumably going to die very soon, or is at least feeling a little maudlin.  Who knows, maybe as a witch he'll live (or has already lived) for hundreds of years.  But at this point in time, I presume that Vlad has either done his whole Godslayer thing and is simply wanting to leave something for his son or something, having been something of an absentee father and having father issues himself (which makes him want to be better as a father than his own father was), or alternatively, he is about to embark upon The Last Contract and that's where his narrative finally catches up with the present and, I don't know, maybe Steve watches events unfold through whatever portal he's got to Dragaera, perhaps with the aperture sitting right in front of Morrolan's window.

What has happened in Vlad's life to get him to the point where he's content to sit with a tape recorder and spill his guts about his life? (sorry, couldn't resist the pun.  No doubt when the J get to him his death will if they get their way involve a great many tortures before the morganti hits his spine)

Jon