[Dragaera] Vlad

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Fri Feb 5 14:52:40 PST 2010

> On 2/5/2010 2:46 PM, Konrad Gaertner wrote:
>> J C wrote:
>>
>>> Vlad is talking about killing people, without euphemism or
>>> dissembling, to a recording device.
>>>
>>> To say that this flies in the face of all of his acquired reflexes is
>>> to understate the point rather a little.
>>>
>> We're told in _Athyra_ "he was able to convince me no one would hear
>> about it."
>
> Which I don't believe unless the convincing was done by magic.

Well, the convincing would certainly have to *involve* magic.
Demonstrating convincingly that the box came from another plane of
existence, for example.

To the left, there is a fair amount of evidence that various parties
*have* messed with Vlad's mind over the years.

My personal theory is that Sethra talked him into it, not long after they
met.  The dual narrative voice of _Orca_ is weak evidence in favor of
that.  _Athyra_'s narrative voice remains a bit of a puzzlement, but we
know that S/K met Savn during _Orca_, and might well have researched his
history.

Paarfi's books might have been provided to Brust by anyone who lived long
enough.  Where _Brokedown Palace_ comes from is perhaps the most puzzling
one right now.  Devera and Verra are both possible sources.  And then, I
still think that there were some significant yet-untold events in Fenario
City after _Jhegaala_.

>  Also,
> Vlad's behavior and thoughts don't match what he would be doing - unless
> by magic he was able to forget about that box.

Could you unpack that a little?  I don't quite see what you're getting at.

>> We're told in _Dragon_ that Vlad narrated _Taltos_ right after the
>> events happened.

And it's also clear that the narration of _Dragon_ happened not long after
the events of _Yendi_.

Incidentally, one of my major plans for the Timeline over the next year is
to try and narrow down when each book was narrated.

Alexx

Selections from Gamers Famous Last Words:
262-"I wish we had a 10 foot pole.  Oh well."