[Dragaera] Vlad

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Fri Feb 5 16:40:25 PST 2010

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:
>> My personal theory is that Sethra talked him into it, not long after
>> they
>> met.  The dual narrative voice of _Orca_ is weak evidence in favor of
>> that.  _Athyra_'s narrative voice remains a bit of a puzzlement, but we
>> know that S/K met Savn during _Orca_, and might well have researched his
>> history.
>
> Whether or not Sethra talked him into it, /Issola/ is evidence against
> it being addressed to Sethra, since he addresses the audience as a
> non-participant. Something along the lines of, "Yes, I'm sure
> Spellbreaker's true nature was obvious to you all along, listening
> along through the little box, but it was not at all obvious to me at
> the time until that instant." That's a VERY inexact paraphrase but if
> you know the passage I mean I think you'll agree that the words would
> not be appropriately addressed to Sethra.

Perhaps I was insufficiently clear: I don't think Sethra is the person who
pays him for stories; I think Sethra *introduced* him to that person.

Alexx

"Nightmare scenario:  The Hokas get hold of the entire Bujold oeuvre.
 Chaos ensues.  The Hokas end up ruling the galaxy, mostly by accident."
                 -- SkyeFire