[Dragaera] Orca Reconsideration 1

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Mon Feb 8 07:21:09 PST 2010

On Fri, February 5, 2010 19:43, Sean Whalen wrote:

>   Learning of Sethra's disguise surprised Vlad, but her ability to
> disguise herself did not.  He only questioned her ability to conceal being
> undead, not how she changed her appearance/size/etc.  By itself, this
> probably indicates that he already knew how such a change could be made,
> or how Sethra in particular would be able to do so (possibly with
> intricate magic or unique abilities).

I think this is deducing too much; he could simply have thought of her as
a great enough wizard to do things he doesn't know how to do easily.
Alive vs. dead is a pretty basic magical distinction, so hiding that would
be especially challenging.  Maybe.

>   What evidence supports this?  Going back to the real-world origins of
> Dragaera, it has been said that Adrian Morgan created Piara in part to
> tell a variation of the Arthur story (presumably medieval literary
> versions and later ones based on them) with Zivra ( >> Zerika) as a female
> Arthur who obtained a sword
>  (Nightslayer) and reclaimed the Orb (analogous to a crown), and thus the
> Empire.  This likely means Sethra was a female version of Merlin.  The
> implications of this are vast.
>
>   What known evidence supports Sethra as a female
> version of Merlin?  The parallels include the obvious (greatest wizard,
> great age, supports King/Empress), as well as giving a magic sword
> (Nightslayer to Zivra in the Piara version, Blackwand to Morrolan in the
> Dragaera version (along with his visions that recall the Lady of the Lake
> (Excalibur was given to Arthur by her or Merlin in different versions))),
> using magic and manipulation of events to cause/allow the birth of Zerika,
> giving her magical aid and knowledge as she began her quest, returning
> from the afterlife (returning from the Paths of the Dead as an undead),
> and having a history including legends with many different versions (being
> a hero, an evil sorceress, etc.).  Most importantly (for this discussion),
> Merlin was a shape-shifter who often used his power to go out in disguise
> (in the form of a peasant, etc.).

Interesting point.  Again, I think "*might* exist" is the key; we can't
conclude anything definitely from this parallel.

And, ob. Python..."Watery tarts distributing swords is no basis for a
system of government!"

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info