[Dragaera] Orca Reconsideration 1

Sean Whalen stlatos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 13:27:23 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:

From: Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com>
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Orca Reconsideration 1
To: "Sean Whalen" <stlatos at yahoo.com>
Cc: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 11:09 AM

>   There are several facts from earlier books that give ideas about
> possible ways she could have done this:
>
> 1.   Sorcerous spell.
> 2.  Complex long-lasting illusion.
> 3.  In _Taltos_, Kragar says Sethra is a shape-shifter.

You seem to have overlooked what, to me, is the most obvious explanation.

4.  A purely physical, mundane disguise, carried off extremely well.
Kiera taught Vlad the art of disguise, so he knows (and we know) that
she's good at it.  (I don't think that particular bit of their shared
background was talked about until _Dzur_, but we know it now.)

  How would Sethra change her height, her eyes, conceal her fangs, arrange her hair beneath a wig in a suitable way, and change her face and voice enough to fool people who know both for extended periods of time?

  In a world with magic, when the subject is so associated with magic, a magic explanation shouldn't be unusual, and there are too many problems with a mundane disguise to consider it seriously.