[Dragaera] Orca Reconsideration 1

Sean Whalen stlatos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 14:37:58 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:

>   How would Sethra change her height, her eyes, conceal her fangs, arrange
> her hair beneath a wig in a suitable way, and change her face and voice
> enough to fool people who know both for extended periods of time?

I admit that I am poor at noticing details of physical description of
characters in books, so I may have missed some things.  But do we actually
have textev that they *are* different heights?

  Yes, Sethra is tall, Kiera is short (for a Dragaeran).

Or that their eyes and

hair are significantly different?

  Yes, for example Sethra's look like  a Dzurlord's (part of the reason there is argument about her House(s)).

Or that Sethra has noticeable fangs?

  When Vlad sees her chewing her lip he says something like "I forgot how sharp her teeth were"; this might not be noticeable when Kiera keeps her mouth shut (and does she plan to never talk in disguise, or mumble a lot?), or maybe in most cases with a little work, but not when Kiera kissed Vlad, for example.

As to 'people who know both' -- until the events of _Taltos_, that was an
empty set.

  Aliera knew both, and it might have happened before the Interregnum.  Did she plan to never be seen by anyone who had seen Sethra when among the Jhereg?  I'm not sure how likely that would be depending on her operating style, how often she was at court before the Lavode scandal, etc.

Even after that, the only person who knew them both with more
than a passing familiarity was Vlad -- who eventually *did* see through
the disguise.

  Not because of noticing any physical similarity, seeing makeup wearing off, etc.  That is, he mentioned her knowledge of things Sethra would know, noticing her speech patterns (not similar voice), etc.