[Dragaera] various

Sean Whalen stlatos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 16:04:11 PST 2010

(short replies condensed within one message)

1

  I first saw the Arthur-connection somewhere on the Internet (there have been various sites and messages about Piara (which spelling is uncertain since some of the original notes, or campain notes, have been lost), some of which I can no longer find and might have been taken down).  A repost containing something similar is in the archives:

http://lists.dragaera.info/htdig.cgi/dragaera-dragaera.info/2006q3/001535.html

2

  Paarfi mentions it was possible to teleport an object even with the less advanced sorcery before the Interregnum, though I don't how difficult it might have been (presumably Sethra wouldn't have any trouble).  Also, a Great Weapon connected to a wielder's soul might be more easily summoned, or it could be a
 unique ability of Iceflame (like P's locating, G's shape-shifting, etc.).

3

  I don't know why it would matter that Kragar's line about shape-shifting hadn't been talked about more.  That's almost the point:  there's no evidence about how true it is or why it is believed UNTIL we learn Sethra is Kiera.  There hasn't been much made of her being a vampire either, but that has many implications.

  I'd also add that _Taltos_ is the book in which many of the ways in which S and K are the same are shown, often by concealed hints (such as the old-new time swich showing match-ups like Kragar in the past then the present just as the section opening with Loiosh asking if they'd ever met S before showed K-past and S-present, Vlad saying he owes K many favors and Sethra contacting him on the next page saying "We need your help."(getting Vlad's help for Aliera)), and I consider this one of them.

  Even if Kragar's line about shape-shifting could have been based just on legends, and Vlad asks something about this, if a wizard old enough to have legends based on her is said to shape-shift, and then turns out to be two people, why wouldn't you at least think "are the legends true?" even if you didn't know for sure?