[Dragaera] Orca Reconsideration 1

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue Feb 9 10:49:40 PST 2010

>From: Philip Hart Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 3:10 PM
>To: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Orca
>Reconsideration 1

>Thanks to the magic of Amazon's search inside: see pg. 281, where Sethra
>implies she would be able to break a teleport block (there wasn't one, but
>Vlad was assuming so in case of a Jhereg attack).  Given that I don't see
>evidence of pocket universes.

It could go either way, I think.

It might be simply be that Kiera doesn't know how to teleport, or doesn't
have someplace safe to "stash" someone at and Vlad would know that, making
it an uncharacteristic request.

It might also be as you suggested here that, being unable to sense the
existence of a teleport block due to the Phoenix Stones, Vlad would assume
it and ask for them to be "stashed" via other means. It doesn't really
matter whether Sethra could break a block or not. It was a slip on Vlad's
part in the heat of the moment. He had not intentionally meant to be
speaking to Sethra, he just acted on instinct as he is wont to do. He was
fully expecting Kiera to act like Kiera - that is, to avoid a fight, given
that she's not a fighter. In that sense, his request wasn't that weird - He
could just as easily have been telling Kiera to cut and run and take the
civilians with her, as asking Sethra to do something sorcerous that ought to
be beyond Kiera's ability.