[Dragaera] Orca Reconsideration 2

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Fri Feb 12 07:23:15 PST 2010

Interesting theory, and reasonably plausible.

One minor quibble (that doesn't much affect the meat of your notion):

> If Buddy's sensitivity to the undead is the result of previous encounters,
> what
> are the chances they took place in the last ten years or so (she's been
> living
> in the same place for many years, doesn't seem likely to travel, would
> have
> problems fighting the undead when old, etc.)?

Would he *need* to fight any undead?  We've met several undead characters
in the course of the series, and none of them seem to be of the style
'ravenously hungry, want to eat your brains/blood'.

We actually know very little about the nature of 'undeath' on Dragaera.
Vlad seems somewhat creeped out by them.  Loiosh is (mostly) good at
sensing them.  They're affected by Dark Water.  Undead are not allowed to
hold Imperial Offices.  Being undead is one way to be allowed out of the
Paths of the Dead. ... What else do we know?

Alexx

"The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or
 fourteen and all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe
 that they like women.  Actually, you're just horny.  It doesn't
 mean you like women any more at twenty-one than you did at ten."
               -- Jules Feiffer