[Dragaera] Pararectal ideation on the Undead

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 09:26:38 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b at dd-b.net>
To: dragaera at dragaera.info
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 9:05:25 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [Dragaera] Pararectal ideation on the Undead

>Perhaps, on Dragaera, "undead" simply means being allowed back from the
>paths of the dead. The details may be individual -- handicaps / penalties
>/ features imposed by the gods as part of the deal for sending the
>particular individual back.

While I get that line of reasoning, that does not seem to be consistent with the various references that Vlad has made to Sethra/Loraan/The Necromancer during the course of the series.

There seem to be certain physical/spiritual properties/traits that all undead share; hence Loiosh's/Buddy's sensitivity to them, Sethra being banned from court by Tortaalik, various shenanigans involving Loraan, &c.

In short, there does seem to be /some/ sort of tangible physical difference between those who are undead and those who are not.

By your definition, Vlad, Morrolan, and Aliera would all be "undead". Yet Aliera and Morrolan both hold Imperial Offices... QED, they are not considered undead, as there are rules against that sort of thing. (Of course, Sethra was allowed to be Warlord fairly recently, so obviously there can be exceptions to this...)

Majikjon

After re-reading /Orca/ in response to recent dicussion, it seems very clear that Buddy the dog is a Viszla...