[Dragaera] Pararectal ideation on the Undead

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:50:20 PST 2010

> Subject: [Dragaera] Pararectal ideation on the Undead
>
> >Perhaps, on Dragaera, "undead" simply means being allowed back from the
> >paths of the dead. The details may be individual -- handicaps / penalties
> >/ features imposed by the gods as part of the deal for sending the
> >particular individual back.
>
> While I get that line of reasoning, that does not seem to be consistent
> with the various references that Vlad has made to Sethra/Loraan/The
> Necromancer during the course of the series.
>
> There seem to be certain physical/spiritual properties/traits that all
> undead share; hence Loiosh's/Buddy's sensitivity to them, Sethra being
> banned from court by Tortaalik, various shenanigans involving Loraan, &c.
>
> In short, there does seem to be /some/ sort of tangible physical difference
> between those who are undead and those who are not.
>
> By your definition, Vlad, Morrolan, and Aliera would all be "undead". Yet
> Aliera and Morrolan both hold Imperial Offices... QED, they are not
> considered undead, as there are rules against that sort of thing. (Of
> course, Sethra was allowed to be Warlord fairly recently, so obviously there
> can be exceptions to this...)

Love the idea, David, but by your definition Zerika is undead too, and is
not allowed to hold office.  But more on the definition:

>From Athyra,  Vlad believes one can be undead without being a Vampire, but
doesn't really claim to know much else about it, not being 'an expert'.

Loraan came up with a way to bring himself back from the dead after being
killed by Blackwand, so the peasant legend of his keeping his soul in a box
might actually have some validity to it.

The Necromancer reanimates armies of her fallen foes into inferi who can
fight (albeit without much speed), but are not alive and don't remember
their lives.  These are presumably another form of undead.

What else?

--
\Steve