[Dragaera] Pararectal ideation on the Undead

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Feb 23 08:39:21 PST 2010

On Sun, February 21, 2010 12:00, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 08:00:34AM +0800, Ray Lee wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM, andy <bonham15 at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> > meh. I would think a non god would just need a break from remembering
>> > *everything* at some time
>>
>> True, though I suspect Sethra has the Orb to remember for her. She could
>> likely decant her memories via magic so that she doesn't have to keep it
>> all
>> in her head.
>
> The *Orb*?  The Orb remembers the lives of Emperors.  Sethra has no
> direct connection.  Why would the Orb be remembering for her?  If she
> needs offline storage, Dzur Mountain probably works.

Generally speaking, anybody with that kind of lifespan needs offline
storage, it seems to me.  Or else will lose a lot of memory.

In fact I wonder about ordinary Dragaerans in that regard.  I just don't
know whether the human-level memory hardware has either the capacity or
the permanence for the Dragaeran lifespan.  Of course we have no idea how
thoroughly they've been manipulated by the Jenoine.  And maybe if current
humans lived that long, we'd discover that memory wasn't the problem after
all; the typical memory problems of age may not be inherent in the human
hardware (but I wouldn't bet on it, from what we know so far).

A culture where people's healthy lifespans significantly exceed their
memory capacity would be weird.  To be viable, it'd have to be early
memories, or less-used memories, that get removed, and it would have to be
possible to form enough new memory to remain functional.  But that still
leaves a lot of room for...creative character abuse.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info