[Dragaera] An alternative solution to the Mellar problem

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 11:57:41 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexx Kay" <alexx at panix.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:49:22 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [Dragaera] An alternative solution to the Mellar problem

>A friend of mine has just started reading the Vlad books. Though he
>clearly quite liked _Jhereg_, he came up with an alternative solution to
>the Mellar problem that I don't recall having heard floated before.
>Presented for your interest:
>
>"The thing is, the bad guy had to be killed, but couldn't while he was in
>Castle Black, and the clock was ticking, because the Jhereg Council was
>out eight million, and things were starting to unravel. But there's no
>time limit if the Jhereg can keep operating, so one way to save face is
>for Morrolon to lend the Jhereg enough money to keep going for thirteen
>days. Even if he isn't rich enough to float eight million, he seems rich
>enough, and has enough favors, to scrape up enough money to cover things
>until the bad guy is no longer his guest, and can be killed with no loss
>of honor."

Interesting idea. However I find it highly out of character that Morrolan would consent to funding the illicit dealings of the entire Jhereg Organization. This would seem to entail even more compromise of his concept of honor than simply kicking Mellar out of the house a few weeks early.

It's also a huge question whether or not the Jhereg Organization would even find this option acceptable, since if word ever got out that they had to be underwritten by a Dragonlord for 17 days while Mellar went unpunished, it'd probably be just as bad as if he'd gotten away with it completely.