[Dragaera] An alternative solution to the Mellar problem

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 2 14:03:37 PST 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Jay Smith wrote:

> On 3/2/10, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Alexx Kay wrote:
>>
>> days. Even if he isn't rich enough to float eight million, he seems rich
>>>

>> This is a nice idea, and...
>

> Of course, Morrolan isn't supposed to know that there is a problem.  If the
> Jhereg knew, that Morrolan was in the loop, it might be that Vlad would find
> himself on the run from the organization a few books sooner.

They have to be aware that everyone Vlad knows was in the loop as soon as
the reports about Mellar's death come in.

> On the other hand, (and bear with me for forgetting the numbers here) but
> Vlad himself makes a few grand (net) a week right?

That's what he makes for an assassination - but he's only done about 50 of
those in his career, and he finds it easy to burn through that money.  I
don't think his office does that well, and his operating expenses aren't
small.

> This is for just a small area of a very large city, which is in turn,
> part of a large empire.

I don't think the Jhereg have much of a market outside fairly dense urban
areas.  Anything out in the baronial hinterland will be too poor or too
locally ruled.

> It seems that the council should be able to eat eight million with no
> sign of discomfort publicly.

The council uses member funds to keep going for a while, but why would any
of them have huge cash deposits at home?  They'd have to make a run on
their banks, assuming they are even in liquid positions, which might well
raise a stir.

> Granted they would want Mellar dead, but I don't understand the urgency,
> given the scope of operations.

I think the argument runs: it's important that by the time it's widely
known what Mellar did he has gotten a dull shine.  Compare the Toyota
situation - if they had announced, "There's a problem, we have a 100% fix,
it'll be taken care of as soon as owners of this precise set of vehicles
see a dealer", they would have suffered much less damage.