[Dragaera] PO'd

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 15:22:09 PST 2010

--- On Tue, 3/2/10, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
[Things that would piss Philip off]

> Zerika gets pregnant by Laszlo, has a phoenix-blessed
> Phoenix heir accepted by the Lyorn.

Amusing.

> Norathar is killed, breaking the Paarfiad.

Annoying, but not as bad as Morrolan's reminiscences to
Vlad as they approach the Paths.

> Invisible ass- never mind.

Okay.

> Savn commits suicide off-stage.

Definitely wouldn't like it.

> A brown-eyed girl shows up briefly on the last page, but
> turns out not to be Devera.

That could cause me to ROTFLMAO.

> The council kills VN, sending Vlad into a berserker rage

That could be a great book.

> in which he kills everyone in the organization.

Not that, though.

> Teldra wakes up, is evil, demands a steady diet of souls.

*smile*

Is once every seventeen years "steady"?

See, by the way, /The Misenchanted Sword/ by Lawrence Watt-
Evans, which I like a lot.

I would be totally down (as my students say) with one
of Vlad's friends, including an awakened Lady Teldra,
making demands on him that are against his developing
morals.  That would give him something interesting to
deal with.

> I can come up with nine more, probably.

Some that would work for me.

Vlad finds Jesus.  Actually, anyone in the series finds Jesus.
(Much as I love Gene Wolfe and some other Christian writers.)

Vlad inherits a Jenoine artifact and, to prevent their
imminent conquest of Dragaera, has to destroy it in the
"work area" where it was created, in the very heart of
Jenoinesburg.  (Much as I love, well, you know.)

Vlad realizes Lady Teldra is unstoppable (except maybe by
other great weapons) and just kills everyone who
displeases him.

Vlad organizes all the characters who have ever been
sympathetic or good at anything, from Khaavren to the Demon
to Svan, into a team to win a shootout with a renegade
noble.  (As I greatly hated Robert B. Parker's /Potshot/.)

However, while looking that up I was saddened to learn
that Parker died in January.  He should get a memorial
here from one of his favorite writers before we, since
we are not the one dead, turn to our affairs.

"Were he not gone,
The woodchuck could say whether it's like his
Long sleep, as I describe its coming on,
Or just some human sleep."

--Robert Frost, "After Apple-Picking"

Jerry Friedman