[Dragaera] Vlad's Destiny (Was: Re: Lavode - possible spoilers (Dzur))

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 08:16:33 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 3/16/10, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> On 3/16/2010 7:12 AM, Ken Koester wrote:
> >> Yes, I was thinking of that story when I phrased
> my statement.   Don't
> natures more so than people in most
> >>
> > They seem that way to the participants.  Who
> knows how it seems to the
> > gods themselves?
> >

> Steve knows, or at least will know whenever.
> Vera seems to be resigned to the limitations of fate
> though.

She is summonable (in principle), after all.

> Other gods, maybe not.

All this reminds me of the remark in one of the first
three Earthsea books (from Ogion, Sparrowhawk's
teacher on Gont?) that the more he learns about
wizardry, the more it seems a matter of doing only
what he /must/ do.  As far as I remember.

If Vlad becomes or gets the chance to become a god,
as has been hinted, I really can't see him abiding
by this wisdom (though I might enjoy it if he did).
That's one of very few predictions I'm willing to
make.  I'm hoping for some good surprises.

I will say, though, that in addition to the other
kinds of destiny people have mentioned, there's
Marxist historical inevitability.  I kind of
wonder whether Steve decided the Cycle would
replace that and then somewhere around Teckla,
decided to put it back in.

Jerry Friedman