[Dragaera] Lavode - possible spoilers (Dzur)

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:07:09 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Gibbons, Mark
<Mark.Gibbons at nordstrom.com> wrote:

>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>> > /
>>
> MG wrote
>> > It looks like Sethra is bringing back the Lavodes. Membership so far:
>> > Herself, Telnan, possibly Morallan, Aliera, Mario.  Further assuming
>> > that the Lavodes are a vital imperial resource, might membership in the
>> > Lavodes be a way out of Vlad's Jhereg problems

> EZ excerpt from his reply.
>>
>> Seems extremely flimsy to me. You're basing the Lavode reformation on
>> one confirmed member? (Sethra doesn't count.) Also, sorry, don't
>> recall the details, but in what way are the current Lavodes (in
>> whatever state of existance they're in now) vital to the Empire?

> I'm basing the resurrection of the Lavodes on:
>
> P16 - "What sort of uniform is it?"  "The Lavodes" Well, that was interesting.
>
> I like the assumption that if it's interesting to Vlad it is probably interesting to me.
>
> P40 - "But you are resurrecting the Lavodes, it seems?"  "Slowly, yes. Why?
>  Think they might be useful for your problem?"  I gave her a short laugh. Liosh was strangely silent.
>
> To me, this looks like hitting the reader over the head with clues and far from extremely flimsy.

I got the impression your post implied a more meaningful resurrection.
A better reply may have been, "They already are resurrected -- in
Dzur." But I figured you were going for something more dramatic. At
the moment, the Lavodes are just a name, revived or not. Will they
become more than that? I don't know, but I'd be interested in seeing
more textev that suggested this to be the case.

> Lavodes vital to the Empire?  I think that was one of the points of Issola and the fight by the minor sea was their first action. Stopping or slowing the Jenoine from coming back to take over the world seems vital to the Empire. Even the Jhereg might see the self interest in the idea.  It's not a case of Zerika forcing them to do something but to see the obvious in a way that lets them save face.

I never got the impression that what happened in Issola was an action
taken by the Lavodes. As far as the Jhereg is concerned, they clearly
still want to kill him, actions in Issola not withstanding. And I can
empathize with that sort of thick-headed logic: If Vlad is allowed to
"get away with it," it makes other potential lawbreakers that much
more likely to try it, weakening their house. Balancing that against
the unknown threat of the Jenoine is probably wise, but not
necessarily an evaluation the Jhereg are apt to do.

--
Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net