[Dragaera] Vlad's manner of arrival at the Goddess's Halls in Dzur

Thomas M. Coyle zxcasd at gmail.com
Mon May 31 08:23:01 PDT 2010

What I found interesting was the way in which he was transported - or not,
as the case may be. In this case, he wasn't "transported" physically, but
only "mentally" (he didn't disappear but rather collapsed with the people
around him. He probably would have gotten much more attention had he
disappeared and then reappeared), vs such as in Issola with the magical
mystery Jenoine cube, when he and Teldra were actually physically
transported. At the beginning of Phoenix, when he's in the building basement
and calls to Verra, it isn't specified what happens - whether he's
physically transported or not - or what actually happens to his attackers,
who were no longer there when he "returned". I can't recall the other cases
offhand, but it makes me wonder whether he actually COULD have harmed Verra
with Godslayer, given that he wasn't actually there physically. Of course,
she implies that he can, and he certainly thinks that he can, so maybe it
really is all in the mind (on which note, Steven, if you're reading this,
please don't succumb to the "it was all a dream" temptation for the final
novel, I'm begging you).

Anyway, IIRC, in the case you mention, Verra talks about closing that
portal, implying that there are others, though I find it interesting that it
would be an altar. Is any duly-consecrated Verra Altar an automatic portal
unless she chooses to close it? What does "duly-consecrated" mean? Did that
particular altar have some previous significance such that she "allowed" it
to become a portal? If, as in Phoenix, one can "transport" (physically or
mentally) to the presence of the Goddess by calling on her, what is the need
for a portal (or, rather, why would she allow the existence of) where one
can "transport" into her Halls without her permission?

Where exactly ARE Verra's "halls", and where are they in relation to the
Halls of Judgment?

Useless speculation, but, as George Carlin once said, "These are the things
I think about when the power goes out." All sorts of room for speculation
here and possible answers in, and as fodder for, later stories.