[Dragaera] Dragaera Casting

Steve Rapaport steve at rapaport.com
Tue Jun 1 16:22:59 PDT 2010

Felicia Day as Aliera?  Seriously, she doesn't have the power to play that
high-status.  The green eyes though.  Helena Bonham-Carter does, but she's
getting old for the role.  Still I'd prefer someone with her gravitas and
bloodthirstiness.

Johnny Depp is a bit old to be playing Vlad, now, and Clive Owen perhaps
best, though perhaps a bit too studly.

 Owen has the right attitude -- he can be hardboiled, rugged, and
self-interested and at the same time be driven to always do the right thing.
 He did this in Children of Men and even in Shoot-em-up, very very well.

Depp can do pretty much anything, he's a good actor.  I could handle him as
a choice.

Val Kilmer as Morrolan, even if he were electronically stretched and thinned
-- well he's got the arrogance and could easily have the impulsiveness and
fearlessness, the entitlement and confidence. But he looks a bit too --
solid, no?  And old.  I would pick Orlando Bloom instead.

For Sethra, you'd want someone young and smooth-faced enough to be able to
pull off the two roles convincingly, yet with an old-soul carriage.  Tough
to cast.  Lisa Edelstein from House comes to mind for some reason.

Kragar -- I like Steve Buscemi even though he's too old now too.  But an
unknown and nondescript actor with a good smirk would do fine.

Uma Thurman would make a good Verra.

\sty

On 1 June 2010 23:28, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, skzb wrote:
>
>  Um, actually, yeah, you'd make a hell of a Morrolan.
>>
>> Chris Olson wrote:

>>> Nuh uh.  Morrolan's mine.  Val can go suck Yendi eggs.  ;)
>>>
>>> What, me arrogant?
>>>
>>> ChrisO
>>>

> Dang, there go at least two interesting duels.

\Steve