[Dragaera] The New Palace

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 2 11:45:02 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Alexx Kay wrote:

> Bows themselves may have been countered, in multiple ways.
>
> Bows are relatively delicate pieces of technology.  A "bow-breaking" spell
> would probably be pretty easy to create.  Eventually, someone else might
> invent an enchantment to protect bows from the breakage spell.
>
> Alternatively, someone might invent a "magical arrow-repelling-field".
> Later, someone figures out an arrow enchantment that can pierce the field.

I don't want to argue at all strenuously about this, since it doesn't
matter to me, but trying to argue away bows and arrows seems to get us
caught up in hacks.  A spell that can indiscriminately break horn bows
(wooden crossbows) can kill soldiers (destroy supply wagons).  Any field
that can stop javelins or spears can stop swords.

A bow would have been of great use in _TPG_ and even more the late
Paarfiad, and even if guardsmen or nobles can't carry them for cultural
reasons surely brigands do.